Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back to Work

Tomorrow morning I head back to work, getting up at 4 AM to drive to the town of Silt. I'm doing a 24 hr shift, then I'm off on Friday, and back again for Saturday and Sunday. My shifts are kinda odd, and don't follow any set pattern. I usually work 96 hours in a two week period, i.e. two 48 hr shifts in a week. Sometimes, however it works out differently.

I've been off for the last 6 days, so I can't complain too much. The drive to Silt is usually not bad, just an hour on the road, with my XM radio to keep me company. I often listen to the "old time" radio programs, like The Lone Ranger, or Dragnet, or "The Shadow". For some reason I don't care much for the comedies, such as "Fibber McGee and Molly", or the "George and Gracie" show. Some of the radio shows seem to hold up better over the years.

The town rents an apartment for the ambulance crew, so I have a place to sleep, and watch TV after the work is done. I'm going to be given the position of Lieutenant at the company, which means I have some more responsibilities and duties. Hopefully it will mean a raise in pay too, but I don't count on it much. The town is suffering from the recent economic downturn, and had to lay off a few maintainence workers, so I'm just happy to have a job.

I hope to have some time to blog tomorrow, if not I'll check in on Friday.


Dana

3 comments:

  1. be safe. We look forward to reading more of your words!

    ~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week went too fast. :-( Lets go on vacation!

    ReplyDelete