Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Nine years ago today, Tonjia and I began our married life together. I haven't regretted a minute of it, and I know Tonjia feels the same way.

We met in a fairly unconventional, but becoming more common, way. Tonjia and I first met on the internet. We were both posting in a chat room for the TV show "ER". Neither of us were looking to find someone online, and neither of us was looking for romance, but romance found us.

I was living in Pennsylvania at the time, and Tonjia was in Kansas. We started out as friends, while Tonjia was going through a messy divorce. Later, after the divorce was finalized, we began a long distance relationship.

I don't think I need to tell anyone how hard it is to conduct a relationship over nearly 1000 miles of space. I still hate to think how much we spent on phone bills over that time. At last, we decided it was time to see each other for real.

I bought a ticket to Tulsa OK, (the nearest airport). Despite Tonjia's friends' worries that I might turn out to be an "axe murderer", we spent a magical weekend together, visiting the sights of the city, described as "The Paris of Oklahoma" by Chandler from "Friends". After that weekend, we knew that we were meant to be together forever. By the end of the year, I had flown out to see Tonjia a few more times, and she had flown to see me.

The last time I flew out, I brought an engagement ring, and moved Tonjia, lock, stock and daughter Breanna, to Pennsylvania. We moved in November of 1999, and set up house in PA. We decided that we wanted to get married as soon as possible, and with ''Y2K" coming up fast, we picked the date as Jan 1, 2000 to start the century out right.

After a few years of living in the humidity of southern PA, Tonjia was getting homesick for the mountains of Colorado. So, another move later, here we are in the high desert, still together, and going strong. Next year, we hope to take a cruise to celebrate our 10th Anniversary!

Although we didn't plan on it, we ended up falling in love, but as Elvis put it, "I just can't help falling in love with you".

Happy Anniversary, Tonjia. I love you more and more each day.

Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay, would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you
For I can't help falling in love with you

2 comments:

  1. awwwwww... you are a keeper Dana.. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Dana & Tonjia...
    God Bless!

    ~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

    ReplyDelete