Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Winter wonderland? Phooey!

The Christmas tree is down, and the decorations are put back in their box for another year. New Year's day is past, and it's time to settle in for a few more months of cold and snow before spring returns. As much as I love the holidays, I'm always a little sad to know that they usher in winter, with all it's cold and misery.

Mt. Garfield, covered in snow


I've always liked spring and fall much more than winter and summer. I like the mild weather, and the change of seasons. Winter it seems is a little too long, and wears out it's welcome much too fast. Once you've shoveled the walk a few times, or cursed the frozen locks a few times, "winter wonderland" loses it's charm.

Colorado Winter


January is a time for dry skin, chilled toes, and chapped lips. Some people love winter sports: skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating and such. For me, I prefer to stay inside with a good book and a warm blanket. Slipping and sliding on the snow and ice is not for me. I also don't care much for driving on slippery highways. Colds, flu, frostbite, chilblains, and hypothermia, all make more work for me, and Tonjia. Icicles on rooftops always remind me of teeth, and the peaceful snow, hides the treacherous ice beneath it. Let's face it, winter is something to be endured, not enjoyed.

So, for the next few months, I'll be watching for signs of spring.

Tell the ground hog to wear sunglasses, round up some robins, and get those swallows back to Capistranto, pronto!




Come on Spring!

Dana

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written... Lovin your post, Dana!

    ~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!! I do love winter, but I dont like warming up the car when it is dark and -4 degrees outside..

    Theres a lot to be said for the tropics!

    ReplyDelete