Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Whistle While You Work.

Well, here I am at work. I'm waiting for my dispatcher to get some information on an upcoming transport. I work for an EMS company, that does both 911 emergency calls, and inter facility transports from our local Band-aid Center of a hospital to larger hospitals in the area.

The closest larger hospital is about 30 miles away. The larger, more equipped hospital is 65 miles away. A round trip from the closer hospital takes about 90 min, with moving the patient from one stretcher to another, and moving up the the rooms, etc. The roundtrip for the larger hospital takes about 3 hours total. Sometimes I make that trip three times a day, which as you can imagine gets rather old very quickly. Once in a while, we transport to Denver, a 8 hour round trip.

Inter facility transports are really the 'bread and butter' of any private, or non-municipally funded ambulance service, and without them the company couldn't provide the emergency services needed. Nevertheless, no one in EMS really likes transports.

I was asked once why EMTs don't like transports. Although they are important, and part of the job, they aren't really what gets people into EMS. No one would watch a show about Johnny and Roy transporting an elderly patient back to the nursing home after she's been sent in to the ER for the thirtieth time that week, for some kind of pneumonia. There's little glamour in taking vitals every 15 min on a stable cardiac patient, who is going for a heart operation. No one looks forward to transporting some potentially violent psych patient across the state to a mental health facility.

But these transports all involve human beings: someone's son, daughter, mother, father, grandmother, uncle, aunt, etc. They all involve providing care for a living breathing person and can't be taken lightly. As long and dull as these trips may be, they are all the heart of providing care. Whenever I'm taking a transport, I try to treat the patient as is they were my own family member. I try to make sure that the person is comfortable, that they are cared for, and that they receive the best care.

The job of a paramedic is not always exciting, or dangerous. Often it involves sitting and holding the hand of a person who needs a little TLC. I can't say that I really enjoy long distance transports, but I know that they are a vital part of my job.

Take care, all, talk to you again soon

Dana

1 comment:

  1. what? do you mean there is a hospital in Rifle??? no way! ;-)

    you are a good paramedic honey.

    ReplyDelete